Volunteer Deposit Program
2021 - 2022 Edmonton Girls Hockey Association Volunteer Program
Thank you to all families for volunteering!
Edmonton Girls Hockey Association is a volunteer-run organization, and as such, it depends on the volunteer assistance of its members to function successfully. Volunteers are essential to maintaining and growing Edmonton Girls Hockey Association. The more volunteers we have, the better our association becomes!
Overview of 2021-2022 Volunteer Deposit Program:
- Every family is required to complete volunteer commitments for 2021-2022.
- TWO volunteer commitments are required per player.
- Each volunteer commitment is worth $100.
- ONE volunteer commitment is required per player for players registered in U7
- There are no exemptions to the volunteer requirements.
- There is no maximum number of commitments that a family can contribute to in a given year.
- There is no roll-over of volunteer commitments from year to year.
- Volunteer commitments that are eligible for registration credits (such as EGHA Casino) do not count towards this volunteer commitment requirement.
- Families who do not complete volunteer commitments will have a $100-$200 debit per player applied to the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) profile(s) of their registered player(s).
- EGHA will not be collecting post-dated cheques for volunteer commitments.
- The $100-$200 debit is due immediately (an invoice will be sent), or will be collected at the next registration and must be paid prior to any new registrations, transfers, tryouts, affiliation shares or attendance at ID camps being approved.
Opportunities that count for 2 Volunteer Commitments for 2021-2022 are:
- EGHA Executive Board Members
- EGHA Category Director
- Head Coach
- Team Manager (when one manager)
- Assistant Coach
- EGHA Committee Chair or Member (Fundraising, apparel, coach selection, etc.)
- Team Treasurer
Opportunities that count for 1 Volunteer Commitments for 2021-2022 are:
- Jersey Parent (home or away, entire season, bring to games and launder)
- Parent Liaison
- Tournaments, Social Director parent
- Team Manager (when split between more than one volunteer)
- Timekeeping or Scorekeeping (each volunteer must complete a minimum of 5 shifts to meet this requirement)
- Team Fundraising Co-ordinator
- Evaluation Coordinator (minimum of 3 shifts)
- Check-in table, timekeeper, bench help, on-ice support
- EGHA Picture Day Assistance (on shift basis)
- Minor Hockey Week Volunteer (on shift basis)
- Timekeeper, scorekeeper, button seller, checker
- Special Events as communicated by EGHA (on shift basis)
- May include tournaments, provincials, other events
- U7 (Previously Initiation) Timbits Jamboree (minimum of one shift)
- Shifts are offered to U7 families first
- Each team has discretion to add up to three volunteer roles their team sees fit if they feel this role is missing from the list. This role will count for one commitment only
If you have additional suggestions/recommendations on ways to help out - bring them forward – the EGHA Board may want to add them to the list of volunteer opportunities.
Please note: Volunteering for 50/50 opportunities or for EGHA hosted casinos do not count towards volunteer commitments, as families have the opportunity to earn $100 registration credits for those commitments.
2021-2022 Volunteer Deposit Program FAQs
How do I find volunteer opportunities?
To volunteer for vacant Executive positions, director positions, or chairs/members of committees, please contact the Vice President Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To volunteer for coaching positions (head coach, assistant coach or bench mom), please complete the following form: EGHA Coach/Bench Staff - Submission of Interest. Completion of this form does not guarantee you will be selected for one of these positions.
Many positions will be determined at your team’s first parent meeting. Jersey parents, parent liaisons, scorekeepers, etc, will be determined at that time. Volunteers for special events, Minor Hockey Week and Provincials may also be communicated to you through your Coach and/or Team Manager, and you will have the opportunity to sign up at that time. For other volunteer commitments, please watch for communications from your association.
Alternatively, you may contact the EGHA Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com for more information about volunteer opportunities.
What will happen if I do not complete my volunteer commitments?
At the end of the season, any family who has not completed the minimum of 2 volunteer commitments per player will have a $100 - $200 charge per player invoiced to them. The payment will be due immediately. If not paid, the invoice will remain payable, and will have to be paid before the player will be able to register for the new season.
How are these volunteer jobs tracked?
Association wide volunteer tasks are tracked by the EGHA Volunteer Coordinator using the volunteer sign up sheets used for various events. The Team Managers will track and then submit a list of team commitments twice during the season directly to the EGHA Volunteer Coordinator. The EGHA Volunteer Coordinator will use all data to track the volunteer commitments for the entire association.
Will I be contacted prior to my volunteer time as a reminder?
No, it is your responsibility to manage your volunteer commitment.
Will I be contacted prior to the $100 - $200 fee being applied to my children’s profile(s)?
Edmonton Girls Hockey Association will share out opportunities to volunteer to all members, but the responsibility is the family’s to ensure they have volunteered. Families will be notified of the debit when a receipt is issued showing the debit. Our goal is to not be required to apply the fee to any player’s profile.
Do donations, sponsorships, or gifts count as a Volunteer Commitment?
No, things like bringing snacks or other items to the team, team sponsorships, or event tickets do not count as volunteering.
If I pay out my volunteer does that excuse me from participating in any fundraisers for the club?
No, EGHA needs the support of our parents to run our teams. Please ensure you are volunteering in some capacity. If you are not able to volunteer for commitment reasons, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I help the Coach or Manager with part of their duties throughout the year, does that count as a Volunteer Commitment?
No, although taking on some extra little tasks may be helpful to the Coach or Manager to help with things like game sheets, raffle tickets, or planning a party, those tasks are already accounted for under other positions and do not count as a Volunteer Commitment.